Free Hellenic Modelers Society
September 17, 2019, 10:05:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: F-4C/D/E/F/G Ejection Seats  (Read 7223 times)
John Garis

Email
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »

Eduard BRASSIN 1/48 F-4C/D/E/F/G Ejection Seats for Hasegawa kit

The Martin-Baker Aircraft Co. Ltd (MBA) Mk. H-7 seat is one of the most manufactured ejection seats in the world with some 11000 manufactured or modified to the Mk. H-7 standard from the earlier Mk. H-5 seat. The H-7 is one of the most interesting seats in the MBA family due not only to its large number, but also due to its length of service, and the evolution which it displays.

Due to the McDonnell-Douglas Phantom II entering service in the early 1960s, the seats originally fit to the production aircraft were Martin-Baker Mk. H-5 seats. These seats were rated at about 115kt on the runway. Their configuration varied significantly from the Mk. H-7 in that the main parachute container was a soft pack, and was held in a hooded backrest similarly to the Mk. F-5 and Mk. F-7 seat used in the F-8 Crusader. The seat bucket was similar to the later Mk. H-7 versions. Over the years, the parachute container was changed to the hard fiberglass container, and the hood was deleted. The rocket pack was added to the seat, bringing it up to the Mk. 7 family specifications which lowered the speed required on the runway to zero knots. The original Mk. 51 underseat rocket utilized a mechanical initiator with a lanyard attached directly to the rocket. Later on the rocket was changed to the Mk. 92 gas initiated rocket, which enabled the lanyard to be moved to the underseat Rocket Initiator as seen below. These changes, and some other smaller ones, made the Mk. H-7 a very good example of seat evolution.

One unique feature of the Mk. H-7 family (which includes four main variants; USAF Pilot, USAF WSO, USN Pilot, USN RIO) is that the seat buckets are designed to be removed in the aircraft for maintanance. Then, the main beam assembly is unlatched from the catapult and raised a short distance to a point where it can be tilted forward via slots in the catapult rails and removed without removing the canopy of the aircraft.
I am in the delightful position to present to you, another Eduard’s Brassin edition.
This time, it has to do with the ejection seats of the famous F-4E Phantom II. And of course I am talking about the also famous Martin-Baker Mk.7 seats. These seats are meant to be mounted on Hasegawa’s 1/48 kit, but in my personal opinion they could be used in any other kit, of any firm, that has the F-4 in its catalogue.
Lets have a closer look at the contents of this set.
The resin casting is superb. There are parts for the main body of the seats, and headrests given separately. That makes painting of the subassemblies even more easy.
There are also two sheets of photoetched parts (one for each seat), some colored, wherever is that necessary (belts-harnesses-indications). This is another credit from Eduard, that makes painting and assembly more easy!
Another smart idea from Eduard comes with all the stencil data, of the survival kit, but I believe these parts only have to do with the less used seats, thus they are placed were the pilots are seated, and as it is in common sense, if we want to present a worn look of the seats, we have to act in a same way with the weathering.
Coming to a conclusion, I believe that this set is one of the best in the market referring to the Mk.7. Even if I have a minor objection about the placards, that  in my humble opinion should have been provided in the form of decals.

Highly recommended!
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com